Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven. A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Saturday, May 28, 2011

I like it, like a hole in my head...

Recently I was listening to some older ladies discuss how sarcastic the younger generations are and how they felt it was really disrespectful. I definitely have expressed sarcasm myself and as I was thinking about it... probably everyone I know has expressed it in their communication at some time too.
But their point hit home.
See, when I was in high school I had gone through a girls Bible study and we were talking about how sarcasm is a way to say mean, hurtful, or rude things, in a "joke" setting. But why are we wanting to say those things in the first place? And why do we think its funny to do so?
How do you know when someone is being genuine if they are constantly being sarcastic?

I would like to be a person who means what they say, and people don't have to second guess if I'm joking or serious. That my words speak kindness and life, not any hurt.

So I am trying to work on taking the next month to stop being sarcastic and just be genuine. :) 
Here we go...!

No comments:

Post a Comment